posted Feb 23, 2011, 3:35 PM by Web Master
updated Feb 23, 2011, 3:43 PM
This unquestionably can refer to more than Edmonton's weather. February 2011 will be remembered as the "Month of International Revolutions". Many of you with international responsibilities, especially with Middle East interests are pretty busy. Even ASIS International was impacted, the day before the Annual Middle East Conference was scheduled to begin in Manama, BAHRAIN, the border crossing was closed between Saudi Arabia and Bahrain stopping the majority of delegates from there attending. I was in communication with Russ Fermaniuk, CPP (former EPS and Edmonton Chapter member who now works in Qatar). Russ was staying in Bahrain ahead of the conference and was experiencing the excitement "first hand". This was his first ASIS conference, hopefully future conferences will not have this many hassles. Russ is now safely back in Qatar.
Here is what else is new with the chapter:
- One price fits all - our luncheon fees are now $30 for everyone, members, guests, family, friends and crashers! This makes life much easier for our Treasurer and for using PayPal when sponsoring multiple guests.
- Check out our website www.asisedmonton.com It has recent postings for "Members on the Move" and career opportunities galore! We're receiving and posting about 1-2 opportunities per week!
- If you have not paid your international ASIS dues - please go to this link and make yourselves current for 2011. https://www.asisonline.org//auth/login.xml This is where you update your information too - we no longer assess local dues but you are responsible for paying annual international dues.
- Annual Golf Tourney - mark your calendars - shotgun start (1300) June 23, 2011 at Sandpiper. More details will follow as planning progresses. If you wish to help out, contact Susan Kedzo email@example.com
- Workshop: CPTED Certified Level 1 Course - June 13 − 17, 2011 - more details will follow as planning progresses.
- Are you in Ft. McMurray? We are examining looking at having the members there meet quarterly or every other month. Interested in helping organize this? Contact Rick Steele, CPP email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday March 23, 2011
Edmonton Petroleum Club
Registration and Networking: 11:30 AM
Lunch: 12:00 (Noon)
Speaker: Mr. Dave Maze, CISA
Topic: "Cargo Theft"
Staff Sergeant Dave Maze joined Lethbridge Regional Police in 1986 after completing the Criminal Justice Program at Grant McEwen in Edmonton. Dave has worked in the Forensic Identification, Special Operations Drugs, Recruiting / Training, Major Crimes, and the Integrated Intelligence Units during his career with Lethbridge. In 2009 Dave was selected for secondment to Criminal Intelligence Service Alberta (CISA) as the Director. In his spare time Dave is very active in the local soccer community, instructs at Lethbridge College and is working on his University degree, majoring in Anthropology.