posted Mar 28, 2011, 11:11 AM by Web Master
"Where are the Spring flowers???" CTV News Edmonton currently has a contest to predict the date the city's "snow mountain" will have completely melted. I think our chapter contest should be what will happen first, the melting of snow-mountain or the annual golf tournament in June? Notwithstanding, this is Edmonton where we are used to 8 months of winter and another 4 months of "bad skiing"!
Dave Maze did a great presentation last week on the impact of organized crime on cargo theft in Alberta. CISA could use our help toward actively combatting these issues with a coordinated strategy. If any ASIS members are interested in working on a committee with the CISA, please let me know.
Our next luncheon will feature our very own Peter Lemieux outlining Alberta's counter terrorism program through ASSIST. (More details are written below)
Here is some additional chapter news:
- Calgary ASIS Chapter recently announced the launch of their Peer Mentorship Program. The program has two objectives: demonstrate professional commitment to the security industry with this coaching initiative; and to provide support and assistance to young security professionals to overcome potential barriers in their careers. Are you interested in working toward a program of this nature in Edmonton? Please express your interest: email@example.com
- CPTED Certified Level 1 Workshop: June 13 to 17, 2011 details are posted on the website (www.asisedmonton.com). This is sponsored by an educational grant from CONTAVA keeping the cost for chapter members to a phenomenal $375! (PROMO code: ASIS156promo)
- Annual Golf Tourney is June 23, 2011 at Sandpiper with a shotgun start at 1PM (1300). More details will follow as planning progresses. If you wish to help out, contact Susan Kedzo firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are you in Ft. McMurray? We are examining looking at having the members there meet quarterly or every other month. Interested in helping with this? Contact Rick Steele, CPP email: email@example.com
- Calgary ASIS and CANASA are presenting 2011 Tri-lateral Security Canada Conference and Exhibition May 25 and 26, 2011 in Calgary. This annual event has been quite popular and a good opportunity for education and net-working. Featured speakers include Phill Banks, Geoff Frisby, Tim McCreight and other celebrities. More details are at: http://www.securitycanadaexpo.com/en/attendees/security_canada_alberta_2010/conference_program.html
April ASIS International Edmonton and Northern Alberta Luncheon
Wednesday April 27, 2011
Edmonton Petroleum Club
Registration and Networking: 11:30 AM
Lunch: 12:00 (Noon)
Speaker: Mr. Peter Lemieux, CPP "Alberta Solicitor General ASSIST"
Topic: "Alberta's Counter Terrorism Initiatives"
Peter is currently with the Alberta Security and Strategic Intelligence Support Team. In addition to providing crisis management support to critical infrastructure within the province, Peter has a role in the administration and maintenance of the Alberta Counter Terrorism plan.
Before joining the Alberta Government Peter worked briefly as a manager with the Commissionaires and before that 22 years service with the Canadian Forces. Although trained as a Military Police Officer, Peter worked half of his military career in a specialized unit known as the Canadian Forces National Counter Intelligence Unit. In this capacity Peter was tasked to mitigate threats to the Department of National Defence, its personnel and interest, regardless of location. This included areas of operations in Somalia, Haiti, Southeast Asia and Afghanistan.
Cost: $30 (Same price for everyone)
** With this new feature, we can no longer accept credit cards at the door, cash or cheque only - please use PayPal for credit card payment**